US-Bangla suspends flights to Kathmandu
March 14th, 2018 at 7:19 pm
US-Bangla suspends flights to Kathmandu

Dhaka – The US-Bangla airlines suspended its flight operations to Kathmandu for indefinite period after one of its aircrafts crashed at Tribhuvan International Airport, the private airlines said on Wednesday.

Operations at all other domestic and international routes will remain normal, Qamrul Islam, spokesman of the private airlines, told reporters in Dhaka Wednesday, two days after its flight BS-211 crashed in Kathmandu killing at least 50 people.

The pilot and three other crew members were among those killed in the accident.

Earlier, authorities in Bangladesh announced a day of mourning for Thursday to remember the victims of the plane crash in Nepal that left at least 26 Bangladeshi nationals among others dead.

The decision was taken at an emergency meeting with the Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in the chair. The meeting was attended by senior members of the cabinet and the government officials at the Prime Minister’s Office.

Prime Minister Hasina returned home cutting short her official four-day visit to Singapore following the tragedy.

The plane was carrying 67 passengers and four Bangladeshi crew members to Kathmandu.

To remember the victims, Bangladesh will observe a day of mourning on Thursday and offer prayers at the religious institutions and places of worship to seek salvation of the departed souls on Friday, said an official at the Prime Minister’s Office.

Bangladesh offered every possible assistances to overcome the disaster.

Nazibur Rahman, the Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister, said that the head of the government had asked the officials concerned to quickly bring back the bodies of the plane crash victims.

The Prime Minister also directed to provide improved medical care to those who are undergoing treatment in Kathmandu.

A medical team comprising members of the burn and plastic surgery unit will also be sent to Nepal to assist the local physicians. They will also help the local team to preserve DNA sample of the victims as most of the charred bodies could not be identified.