Wednesday, September 28th, 2022
Two policemen, a suspect killed in Bangladesh bombing
July 7th, 2016 at 1:18 pm
Two policemen, a suspect killed in Bangladesh bombing

Dhaka – At least three people, including two policemen, were killed and several others were injured as suspected terrorists exploded homemade bombs on law enforcement near an Eid congregation site in northern Bangladeshi district of Kishoreganj, police said Thursday.

The attacks were carried out near the country’s largest congregation offering prayers in Kishoreganj district, around 90 kilometres north-east of the capital Dhaka.

The bomb struck on the day of Eid al-Fitr, Muslims celebrate with fanfare after the fasting month of Ramadan.

An officer of National Security Intelligence in Kishoreganj said that two policemen and a suspected attacker were killed.

Police also captured two suspects on the scene after they exploded the bombs. The lawmen retaliated with bullets leaving one of the suspects killed, he said.

A group of least six persons carried out the attack on the lawmen guarding the ways to the congregation site at Solakia, he said adding that eight people sustained injuries were rushed to Dhaka for improved treatment.

Paramilitary troops from Border Guard Bangladesh and Rapid Action Battalion put the area cordoned off.

One of the dead was a 35-year-old policeman, said Abu Sayem, a local police chief adding that the security forces recovered a machete and a loaded handgun at the scene.

Meer Mosharraf Hossain, another police officer said the explosions occurred at the gate of a local school near a congregation area a few minutes before prayers began.

At least 12 people including nine policemen were injured, he said. The police fired their guns in response to the attacks.

The bomb attack came following last week’s terror attack on a restaurant in Dhaka that resulted in the deaths of 20 hostages, mostly foreigners, and two police officers.

Islamic State militants claimed the responsibility of the previous attacks, which Bangladesh trashed saying local militants carried out the attacks.

No one claimed responsibility of the latest attack.