Slain major’s mother wants an end to extra-judicial killings
August 10th, 2020 at 8:47 pm
Slain major’s mother wants an end to extra-judicial killings

Staff Reporter

A grieving mother of slain retired major Sinha Mohammad Rashed Khan wants an end to extra-judicial killings, and said so far she was happy with the probe underway to determine how her son was murdered by police.

Speaking at a press conference at her residence in Uttara, Nasima Akhter said none should have such a death in the future and that is what she wants as a mother representing other women who had similar experience.

“Yes, I am satisfied as the prime minister assured me along with army chief,” she said in reply to a question.

Nasima Akhter praised her slain son as a man who could steal the hearts of all who came across him, and thus the question of him acting rough with police is a fiction made up by the police.

“I was waiting for his telephone call as is natural for him, but on the day he was killed we had no communication, instead a man identifying himself as the officer-in-charge of Teknaf police station started asking many questions about my son,” she said flanked by her family members and President of the Retired Armed Forces Officers’ Welfare Association (RAOWA).

She said the next day policemen from the Uttara Police Station came asking questions about her son, especially if he was into politics, she thought Sinha, who is to drive at a high speed, might have met with a road accident.

The retired army officer was killed on July 31 as he returned to a resort he was living in along with three students of the Stamford University, when he was stopped by police and shot dead.

Nine policemen, including the main accused, have been arrested and the elite Rapid Action Battalion is probing the murder. His sister lodged a case accusing the policemen for killing her murder in cold blood.

Two of the Stamford University students, who were also behind bars, in different cases filed by the against them, are now out on bail, but RAB on Monday said they too would be grilled “as major eye witnesses.” The third was allowed to leave by police soon after the incident.

Meanwhile, the home ministry committee probing the matter have sought one more week to submit their report.

Rights groups have criticised extra judicial killings in the past, but in recent days the incidents of wanted people being “killed in gunfight” have come down.