International desk – The radical Islamist group Islamic State group has claimed the responsibility of Thursday’s attack by a terrorist who used a hired lorry to run over a crowd during Bastille Day celebrations in southern French city of Nice.
At least 84 people, including children, were killed and more than 100 others wounded in the rampage.
The IS claimed responsibility Saturday for the attack. An Islamic State-run media outlet says the man who drove his truck into a crowd in the French coastal city of Nice is a “soldier” of the group.
The Tunisian-born Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel – described as a “weird loner” who “became depressed” when his wife left him – was a French passport holder who lived in the Riviera city and was regularly in trouble with the law.
The Aamaq news agency on Saturday cited a “security source” as saying the attacker “carried out the operation in response to calls to target the citizens of coalition countries fighting the Islamic State.”
French authorities said they were checking the claim as it was presumed earlier that Islamist militants might have planned the attack on the Bastille Day celebration.