Four policemen suspended over Sylhet custodial death
October 12th, 2020 at 11:39 pm
Four policemen suspended over Sylhet custodial death

by Our Correspondent in Dhaka;-

For policemen were suspended and three others were withdrawn from their duty after the residents’ protest over the custodial death of a young man in the north-eastern city of Sylhet.

Thirty-three-year old Rayhan Ahmed was died after police detained him and taken to Bandarbazar Police Outpost triggering a protests in the north-eastern city on Sunday.

The residents alleged that the policemen tortured him after his family failed to meet the demand of the officers who demanded ransom of 10,000 takas.

The victim’s wife, Tahmina Akther Tanni, filed a murder case accusing unknown persons. The officers who detained the man initially claimed that Rayhan was beaten by mob after an incident of snatching, but local closed-circuit-camera footage show there was no such incident as claimed by the members of the law enforcement agencies.    

The in-charge of Bandarbazar Police Outpost Sub-Inspector Akbar Hossain was among the four suspended over the death, said additional deputy commissioner of the Sylhet Metropolitan Police Jotirmoy Sarkar. He said an investigation was launched into the incident.

Three other three policemen have also been withdrawn in this connection, added the officer.

In her complaint, Tanni said that her husband went to his workplace at Stadium Market on Saturday afternoon like he used to go every day. He did not returned home in the night. When contacted by his uncle by a phone call, Rayhan requested him to the police outpost to save him. As his uncle reached the outpost on Sunday night, an on-duty officer informed him that Rayhan was sleeping and the officer who detained him was not in the office. He was asked to come in the morning with money, according to the complaint.

As his uncle again visited the police post in the morning, the officer said Rayhan was taken to Sylhet Osmani Medical college hospital after he fell sick. He died at the hospital at around 7.50 am. His relatives later found the body riddled with severe injury marks.

The plaintiff accused that her husband was brutally tortured and killed at the police outpost.