Bangladesh shuts major tourist destinations over virus surge
April 2nd, 2021 at 12:19 am
Bangladesh shuts major tourist destinations over virus surge

by Staff Correspondent in Dhaka;

The government has shut major tourist destinations in Bangladesh after a fresh surge in the novel coronavirus cases, officials said on Thursday.

The district administration in the south-eastern Cox’s Bazar district prohibited travelers from venturing into the world’s largest unbroken sea beach, which is annually frequented by some 6 million travelers from home and abroad annually.

The beach was shut earlier in March 2020 when the government imposed nationwide restrictions because of the virus and was reopened when the restriction was gone in July.

District tourism official Syed Murad Islam told reporters that the administration has decided to keep all the tourist sites shut until April 14.

All concerned are requested to maintain the directives, he said adding that the second wave of the novel coronavirus seemed aggravated the situation.

Earlier, the administration in south-eastern hill districts of Khagrachhari and Rangamati shut the tourist destinations.

The south-western sea beach of Kuakata was also closed.

Bangladesh on Thursday reported the record 6,469 cases of novel coronavirus with 59 deaths. The government has also issued separate guidelines in the face of fresh surge of novel coronavirus.

newsnextbd.com/n