by Staff Correspondent in Dhaka;
Bangladesh has decided to extend the nationwide lockdown for yet another week as the deaths from the Covid-19 continued to soar, according to officials.
The country reported the highest single-day death toll to 112 on Monday despite the fact that the number of daily infections as per the tests were not soaring much.
A health ministry statement said some 4,271 people were found positive after conducting tests among the 24,152 samples in the last 24 hours ended on Monday morning.
The death toll from the virus has stood at 10,497 since the first cases were reported in March last year. A total of 723,221 have so far contacted the virus, and 621,300 of who are recovered.
Meanwhile, a meeting of the senior officials earlier in the day decided to continue the lockdown for one more week at the end of the current spell of the shutdown on Wednesday to counter the spread of the virus.
“The restrictions will continue for one more week from Thursday,” the chief of the Press Information Department Surodh Kumar Sarker told reporters.
Given the surge in new infections and deaths from the virus, the government on April 5 enforced a nine-day lockdown shutting offices, shopping malls and transports across Bangladesh.
The shutdown was then extended until Wednesday as the situation worsened with suspension of all international flights to and from Bangladesh. There was, however, no decision whether the flight operations will resume on Tuesday as scheduled.
A country of more than 160 million, Bangladesh’s embattled health care system has carried out 5.1 million virus tests since the Covid-19 cases emerged last year.
Bangladesh previously imposed a nationwide shutdown for more than two months, from March 26, 2020 until May.