International desk – The global death toll from coronavirus infection has risen to 813 with 89 people reported dead in China on Saturday.
Chinese state media People’s Daily reported that the number of confirmed coronavirus cases rose to 37,198, including 811 deaths in Mainland China until Saturday. Of them 27,100 were confirmed cases are in Hubei province. A total of 780 deaths were reported alone in Hubei, it added.
Two other people were killed outside of China.
The number of people killed by the novel coronavirus globally has now overtaken the total death toll for the SARS outbreak in 2003, which killed a total of 774 people across the world.
The World Health Organization has announced it will be sending a team to China to investigate the outbreak of the deadly virus, with the team leader leaving for the country on Monday or Tuesday.
Bangladesh on Saturday said it would not be possible to bring back its citizens stranded in Wuhan under the existing circumstance for the time being. The Foreign Ministry however would extent assistance if anyone manages to come back on their own.
The country’s Institute of Epidemiology Disease Control & Research (IEDCR) said all passengers arriving through different ports in Dhaka would be screened thoroughly with a view to prevent spreading of the virus.
“We will screen all the passengers arriving from all the countries across the globe as the virus has so far spread in 25 countries. So, as a further precaution, from now on we will screen all inbound passengers regardless of their nationalities,” IEDCR Director Meerjady Sabrina Flora told a news conference.
Flora also urged people not to be panicked over the situation, but to stay alert.
The state-run disease monitoring wing has screened a total of 8,396 China returnees until February 7 from January 21, 2020, and all of them are safe, she said.