Dhaka – The International Court of Justice is expected to deliver its ruling next week whether emergency measures should be taken over alleged genocide committed by Myanmar on ethnic minority Rohingya Muslims.
The Gambian government, which brought Myanmar to the top UN court, in a twitter message said on Wednesday that the ICJ would deliver decision on emergency measures on January 23.
Nearly 750,000 Rohingya Muslims fled into Bangladesh after Myanmar military launched a crackdown on the minority group in August 2017. Unknown numbers of people were killed and many Rohingya women were allegedly raped during the crackdown, which was termed a “textbook example of ethnic cleansing” by the UN.
Myanmar’s civilian leader and Nobel peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi travelled to The Hague last month to defend the crackdown.
UN investigators have said the clampdown amounted to genocide.
The West African nation had brought a case against Buddhist-majority Myanmar to the International Court of Justice with the backing of the Organisation for Islamic Cooperation, Canada and the Netherlands.
During the hearing into the case in December, the Gambia alleged Myanmar had breached the 1948 UN Genocide Convention. It demanded emergency measures to prevent Myanmar from committing any further atrocities or erasing any evidence.
If the court rules in the Gambia’s favour, this would be just the first step in a case likely to take years.
An estimated 600,000 Rohingya still live in Myanmar’s western Rakhine state in what Amnesty International has branded “apartheid” conditions.
Suu Kyi during her submission said the case was based on “misleading and incomplete” claims despite the fact that she had admitted excesses by the military. She also demanded that the case to be dropped.
She insisted Myanmar’s own investigations will ensure accountability for any human rights violations but critics deride the domestic panels as toothless and partial.