Dhaka – Fifteen Bangladeshi nationals survived a tragic capsize of a boat carrying migrants in the Mediterranean Sea earlier this month have returned home, police said on Tuesday.
The mishap in the Mediterranean left at least 39 Bangladeshi nationals feared dead after the overcrowded boat carrying migrants from Libya sank off the coast of Tunisia on May 10, according to Bangladesh’s Foreign Ministry.
The survivors, who were rescued by the fishermen and took to a Tunisian camp run by the aid agencies, were brought back home by a Turkish Airlines flight in the morning.
They will be sent to their respective homes after immigration clearance at the airport, said Tanveer Hossain, an official at the bureau of manpower, employment and training.
International Organisation for Migration assisted Bangladesh to bring back the survivors home.
Bangladeshi earlier on Friday arrested three suspected members of a human trafficking ring linked to sending abroad the overseas jobseekers and arranging perilous journey through sea to smuggle out them into Europe.
The syndicate the three men belonged to lured Bangladeshi youths to make the journey for a better life in Europe in exchange for a huge amount of money, said an official of the Rapid Action Battalion, the crime-busting force which arrested the trafficking suspects.
Each of the overseas jobseekers had to pay an amount ranging from 800,000 to 1 million taka to arrange the journey from Libya, he added.
Nearly 150 migrants, including Bangladeshis and Egyptians, had reportedly set sail from Libya for Italy on two boats on May 9. One of the boats met tragedy the following day.