New Zealand shooting suspect appears in court
March 16th, 2019 at 5:07 pm
New Zealand shooting suspect appears in court

International desk – The prime suspect of killing 49 people at mosques in New Zealand has been appeared in court on a single murder charge.

Brenton Tarrant, the 28-yar old Australian national, was brought to the dock in a white prison shirt and handcuff on Saturday, a day after he allegedly carried out the attacks on worshippers in two Christchurch mosques during Friday prayers.

More charges are expected to be brought against Tarrant, who was identified as a rightwing extremist, according to a BBC report.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardren said New Zealand’s law related to guns will be changed. She informed that Tarrant had five guns and a firearms licence.

According to reports two others suspected to be linked with the shootings are in custody. Police, however, could not find any criminal records of those detainees.

Tarrant, who stood silently during the brief hearing, was remanded in custody without plea and is due to appear in court again on April 5.

He smirked as photographers clicked when he was produced before the court. The court also asked the photographers not to use the full face of the suspect for fair trail.

Prime Minister Ardern said the guns used by the attacker appeared to have been modified, and that the suspect’s car was full of weapons, suggesting “his intention to continue with his attack”.

Speaking at a news conference on Saturday, she said the suspect had obtained a gun licence in November 2017 that allowed him to buy the weapons used in the attack.

“The mere fact… that this individual had acquired a gun licence and acquired weapons of that range, then obviously I think people will be seeking change, and I’m committing to that.”

New Zealand’s Attorney-General David Parker said the government would look into banning semi-automatic weapons, but that no final decision had been made, according to the broadcaster.

newsnextbd.com/n