Dhaka – Eight members of a family died after a fire believed to have been broken out from electrical malfunction at a house in northern Bangladeshi district of Joyrpurhat, police said on Thursday.
Three of them died on the spot as the fire occurred after all members of the family went to bed keeping the main gate of the one-storey tin-roofed home under lock and key on Wednesday night, said fire service officer Sirajul Islam.
The incident took place at Arambagh area of Joypurhat district, nearly 280 kilometers northwest of the capital Dhaka.
The firefighter added that local residents and firefighters rescued five others, who sustained severe burns, breaking open the gate of the home. They died in hospital later.
Four children and two women are among the deceases, he added.
The Fire Service and Civil Defence department has been asked to investigate the incident to determine the reason behind the fire, said Islam adding an electric malfunctioning might have caused the fire.