Wednesday, October 17th, 2018
Two female ‘militants’ surrendered at Narsingdi hideout
October 17th, 2018 at 4:35 pm
Two female ‘militants’ surrendered at Narsingdi hideout

Dhaka – Two suspected female members of a militant outfit surrendered in central Bangladeshi district of Narsingdi on Wednesday, a day after two other militant suspects were killed in a raid on yet another hideout a few kilometers away from the latest scene.

Television footage showed the women attired in  Burqa were taken to police cars after they surrendered after the lawmen entered the fifth floor of a seven-storey building in Madhabdi sub-district where they holed up for days.

Chief of Bangladesh’s counterterrorism unit of the police Monirul Islam said the suspects, former student of a private university in Dhaka, were previously arrested in 2017 after the deadly café attack in Dhaka.

“They were granted bail in the case, and again left their homes to stay in different places,” he told reporters near the scene at Gangpar of the sub-district.

Acting on information, police cordoned off the seven-storey building on Monday night. They had been trying to make sure the suspects surrender. At around 2.30 pm, the lawmen managed to enter the fifth-floor hideout breaking a brick-wall, and the female members of the group surrendered.

In the morning, police sent a drone to locate the suspected militants inside the building, but the drone could not produce any substantial images.

On Tuesday, two suspected jihadists were killed in explosions during a raid by security forces in Bhagirathpur, two kilometers away from the Gangpar spot.

A woman was among them. Police said they were the members of a faction of Jamaatul Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB), an outfit responsible for the deadly café attack in Dhaka that killed 22 civilians, mostly foreign nationals, on July 1, 2016.

Police also found a gun and explosives inside the JMB hideout.

The JMB, blamed for a series of terrorist attacks in recent years in Bangladesh, was banned after synchronized bomb attacks hit 63 locations in Bangladesh in August 2005.

Bangladesh launched a series of anti-militant raids in response to the cafe attack, killing more than 100 suspected militants in more than two years.