International desk – Police took a person into custody after an explosion, described as an attempted terrorist attack, rocked in the New York subway, media reports said Monday.
The authorities said a low-tech device was detonated in the subway in an incident that the mayor called an “attempted terrorist attack,” according to online version of the Washington Post newspaper.
A man who is suspected of setting off the explosion, injuring four people, was taken into custody, they said.
Police said the suspect was injured in the blast. The man was not critically injured but police did not go into further detail, describing the situation as “very fluid.”
The New York Fire Department said the other reported injuries were non-life-threatening.
The blast was reported in Midtown Manhattan in the area of the Port Authority Bus Terminal, the biggest and busiest bus terminal, at 42nd St. and 8th Ave, the newspaper said.
US media quote unnamed officials as saying that the man had a pipe bomb strapped to his body when it detonated at the height of the morning rush hour.
A photo circulating on social media shows a man, said to be the suspect, lying on the ground with his clothes ripped and lacerations on his upper body, according to BBC.
White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said President Donald Trump had been briefed on the incident.
The Port Authority Bus Terminal serves more than 65 million people a year.
CNN says the man was identifed as Akayed Ullah, 27, and his motives were unclear. Washignton post reported quoting a former police commissioner said the suspect is possibly an immigrant from Bangladesh.