International desk – At least 17 people have been killed after wildfire wrecked havoc across Northern California in the United States, media reports said quoting officials.
The authorities have issued new evacuation orders Tuesday evening as more than a dozen wildfires raged the state’s famous wine county, according to CNN.
The broadcaster says the largest of the deadly fires were burning in Sonoma, Napa and Mendocino counties, with flames ripping through the lush, picturesque landscape.
Officials in the city of Santa Rosa and Sonoma County called for the evacuations of five more areas Tuesday evening.
Already, 20,000 people had been ordered to leave the area and other parts of Northern California, it said.
It is too early to tell whether any of the wildfires were started by humans, said Ken Pimlott, director of Cal Fire.
“All these fires are under investigation,” he told reporters, adding that his department was focusing on rescues and firefighting. But he said the chance the fires were caused by lightning was “fairly minimal.”
The biggest blaze was the Tubbs fire, at 27,000 acres, stretching from Santa Rosa to the Calistoga area in Napa County.
That fire has destroyed at least 571 structures, an official said Tuesday, making it one of the top 15 most destructive fires in recorded California history.
Napa County also had the Atlas fire at 25,000 acres and the Partrick fire at 1,000 acres