Dhaka: None of families of 14 militants killed during Gulshan café attack and an overnight raid in Dhaka’s Kalyanpur in Dhaka have claimed their bodies, police and hospital sources said.
Bodies of five militants, who killed 22 persons including nine Italians and six Japanese at Holey Artisan Bakery in Gulshan-2 on July 1, still remain at Combined Military Hospital (CMH), Dhaka, said Sirajul Islam, officer-in-charge of Gulshan Police Station.
“None has filed any written application claiming the bodies,” the OC said.
Four of the militants were identified as Nibras Islam, Rohan Imtiaz, Meer Sabeh Mubasheer and Khairul Islam Payel while the other one still remains unknown.
The body of chef Saiful Islam, who has been mentioned in the first information report as an accused, also remains at the mortuary of the hospital.
However, police said only Saiful’s family verbally wanted to take his body, but the law enforcers have yet to receive any written application from them in this regard.
Two policemen were also killed during the July 1 hostage crisis at Holey Artisan when the militants stormed in with guns and swords. Commandos broke the siege in the morning, killing the five militants.
Meanwhile, authorities of the Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH) have preserved the bodies of nine suspected militants killed in the fierce gun battle during a police drive at a Kalyanpur building on July 26.
“The bodies are kept at the forensic department after autopsy as none has claimed those so far,” said Bachhu Mia, a sub-inspector at DMCH police outpost.
Eight of the militants have been identified as Abdullah from Dinajpur, Abu Hakim Nayeem from Patuakhali, Taj-ul-Haque Rashiq from Dhaka’s Dhanmondi, Afiquzzaman Khan from Gulshan and Shazad Rouf Arko from Bashundhara, Motiar Rahman from Satkhira, Jubayer Hossain from Noakhali and Raihan Kabir, 22, from Rangpur.