Bangladesh café attack trial to begin soon, says minister
May 25th, 2017 at 8:22 pm
Bangladesh café attack trial to begin soon, says minister

Dhaka – Investigators will shortly press charges against masterminds of the last year’s deadly café attack by suspected Islamists in Dhaka’s Gulshan diplomatic zone, Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal said on Thursday.

“The government has tagged highest importance on the investigation of the terror attack,” the minister said adding that investigators were about to wrap up their findings to press charge-sheet in the court.

Khan came up with the information after a meeting with a delegation from Japan International Cooperation Agency, which was working on a number of projects including construction of Bangladesh’s first Metro Rail.

The attack on the Holey Artisan Bakery on July 1, 2016 left 20 civilians, including nine Italians, seven Japanese, killed. Two policemen were also killed by the attackers while army commandos eliminated six suspected Islamists on the following morning.

Scared by the attacks, project workers from Japan had left Bangladesh, and now weighing the security situation whether Japanese officials to return to work in Dhaka.

The five member delegation led by JICA President Dr Shinichi Kitaoka paid a call on the Home Minister and discussed matters related to the terror attacks.

Replying to a question on the meeting with JICA, the minister said the JICA delegation requested for quick trial of the Holey Artisan terror attacks.

The minister told the JICA delegation that the government had taken the Holey Artisan terror attacks as an important case and asked the law enforcement agencies to submit the charge-sheet quickly.

Kamal said also informed the delegation that the trial of Japanese national Hosse Kunio murder in Rangpur had completed.

The minister also informed the delegation about the security measures undertaken by the government soon after the unexpected terror attacks.

The government, if needed, is ready to provide more security in and around the Japanese project sites, he said.

During the meeting, the JICA delegation assured the minister that they would continue their works in the Bangladesh’s projects, according to a report by stste-run Bangladesh Sangbad Sangstha news agency.

newsnextbd.com/n