International desk – At least 36 Islamic State militants were killed after US military strike with a weapon known as the “mother of all bombs” (MOAB) in Afghanistan, officials said Friday.
Afghan defence ministry said the 9,800kg bomb dropped on a tunnel complex used by so-called Islamic State in Nangarhar province destroyed the militants’ base.
No civilians were affected by the explosion, BBC reported referring to the Afghan defence ministry.
Former Afghan President Hamid Karzai condemned the attack as “an inhuman and most brutal misuse of our country”.
Chief Executive of Afghanistan Abdullah Abdullah confirmed that the attack had been carried out in coordination with the government and that “great care had been taken to avoid civilian harm”.
The Afghan defence ministry said the bomb struck a village area in the Momand valley where IS fighters were using a network of caves.
It said the bomb also destroyed a large stash of weapons.
The GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast Bomb is the largest non-nuclear bomb ever used by the US in a conflict.
It was dropped by plane in Achin district on Thursday evening, the Pentagon said. It is more than 30 ft in length.
It was first tested in 2003, but had not been deployed in combat before.
The news came hours after the Pentagon admitted an air strike in Syria mistakenly killed 18 rebels.
It said a partnered force had mistakenly identified the target location as an IS position, but the strike on 11 April had killed rebels from the Syrian Democratic Forces, which is backed by Washington.