International desk – The man suspected of killing 11 people by bombing a St Petersburg train is a native of Kyrgyzstan who obtained Russian citizenship, the Central Asian country’s security service says.
At least 45 people were injured in the explosion between two underground stations on Monday afternoon.
There are conflicting reports as to whether the man, said to be in his early 20s, was a suicide bomber.
Authorities in St Petersburg have declared three days of mourning.
Kyrgyz state media said the country’s security service was “maintaining contact with the Russian secret service for further investigation”.
Russian President Vladimir Putin, who was in St Petersburg – his home city – when the blast occurred, visited the scene on Monday evening and laid flowers at a makeshift shrine.
Russian investigators have given few details. No group has said it was responsible.
World leaders rallied behind Russia in condemning the blast.
The White House said President Donald Trump had spoken to Putin by phone and offered “full support” in bringing those responsible to justice.
“Both President Trump and President Putin agreed that terrorism must be decisively and quickly defeated,” a statement said.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel described the blast as a “barbaric act” and EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini said Europe’s thoughts were with the Russian people.
First images from the scene showed a train at Tekhnologichesky Institut station with a hole blown in its side and wounded passengers on the platform, according to BBC report.
Initial reports suggested there had been two explosions, one each at Sennaya Ploshchad and Tekhnologichesky Institut stations.
But the Russian National Anti-Terrorist Committee later confirmed there had been only one explosion, between the two stations, at about 14:30 local time. Security officials defused another bomb.