Dhaka – Bangladeshi security forces have suspended raiding a militant hideout in northeastern district of Moulvibazar while found huge cache of explosives in another den in eastern Comilla district, officials said on Friday.
The raid, codenamed Operation Maximus in Moulvibazar, that began Friday morning will resume Saturday, weather permitting, said Monirul Islam, head of Bangladesh’s counter terrorism unit of police in the evening.
A police officer sustained splinter injuries as the suspected militants, who holed up in a building of Borohat area, exploded bombs during the operation. The lawmen retaliated with bullets.
In Comilla, police found a cache of explosives including grenade, bombs and suicide vests inside the militant den in Gondhomoti area, Shafiqul Islam, deputy inspector general of Chittagong Police range.
He added two bombs weighing five kilograms each, four grenades and two suicide vests were found inside the home deserted by two suspected militants.
The suspects, who managed to flee sensing the lawmen’s presence, are believed to be Anas alias Anis, 20, of Noakhali and Rony, 23, of Chapainawabganj, the officer said.
The explosives will be defused on Saturday.
Earlier in the morning, police lunched the raid codenamed Operation Hit Back in the area. All residents of the adjacent houses were evacuated following the drive.
The Operation Maximus will resume Saturday morning provided that a good weather condition prevails. The entire area of Borohat was kept cordoned off, Monirul Islam said.
The officer could not figure out the exact number suspects holing up in the duplex home.
“We believe more than one militants are staying inside the home. Operation in this area is a bit difficult because of density of buildings, one of which is under-construction.