Dhaka – A fire broke out at a market in Dhaka’s Gulshan diplomatic district leaving more than 200 shops gutted, firefighters said on Tuesday.
The origin and cause of the fire could not be known immediately, but Mayor of northern Dhaka Annisul Haq said it might have caused because of electric short-circuit. The shop owners alleged it was an act of sabotage.
The fire broke out at around 2:30am at market and burnt a portion of the two-storied market building, said Babul Mia, duty officer at Fire Service and Civil Defence control room.
The market accommodates shops of verities of commodities, including grocery, furniture, jewelry, cosmetic etc. A kitchen market was also located at the ground floor of the two-storey building.
Units of firefighters from different parts of the city rushed to the scene. They had tried to douse the flame. But after five hours, the fire was still visible.
Huq said the fire incident was not an act of sabotage rather an accident. He estimates nearly 500 shops were burnt.
The mayor said a probe will shortly be launched into the accident to find the reason.
The businessmen of the market claimed that a section influential people have been trying to evict them from the market. They might have set the fire to the market.
Television footage show that the fire engulfed quickly and ripped through the building collapsing a part of market.
Police officer Mushtaq Ahmed said a horrific fire engulfed the market but we could not confirm the cause of the blaze immediately. The loss caused by the fire could not be determined immediately.