International desk – Syrian government forces have captured a key part of eastern Aleppo, splitting rebel-held territory in two, according to a BBC report.
The broadcaster referring to the state TV said on Monday that the government troops were dismantling mines and explosives and continuing their advance.
A monitoring group says the rebels have now lost more than a third of the previously rebel-held areas of Aleppo.
Thousands of civilians have fled the besieged districts after a weekend of heavy fighting. Hundreds of families have been displaced within the area.
Both state TV and the UK-based monitoring group, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, said that the district of Sakhour had fallen to the Syrian army.
This cuts through the middle of the previously rebel-held territory, dividing it into two.
While it is very difficult to find out exactly what is happening in besieged eastern Aleppo, several other districts appear to have fallen to the government, leaving very little, if any, of the northern part of the rebel-held enclave still under the rebels’ control.
Russia’s defence ministry says Syrian government troops have captured 10 neighbourhoods from rebels, and that more than 100 rebels had laid down their weapons and left the area.