Saturday, September 24th, 2016
Deported Bangladeshi man has no link with café attack, police say
September 24th, 2016 at 10:48 pm
Deported Bangladeshi man has no link with café attack, police say

Dhaka – Bangladeshi investigators have not yet found any involvement of the man deported from Malaysia earlier this month with the July terror attack on a restaruant in Dhaka.

“We have not got any connection of Piyar Ahmed Akash in the Gulshan café attack,”  Dhaka Metropolitan Police Commissioner Asaduzzaman Miah told reporters on Saturday.

The police boss’s claim came more than 20 days aftere the Malaysian authority deported Akash, a Bangladeshi businessman,  for his suspected link with the terrorists in the East Asian country.

The name of the suspect was  disclosed by the police only after Malaysian media reported that the man was deported on terror link and had meeting with one of the Bangladeshi café attackers.

The city police chief said the deported man was wanted in two arms cases, he fled to Malaysia after receiving bail in thoses cases.

“As we wanted help to deport Akash from Malaysia through Interpol, the Malaysian authorities took initiatives to send him back home,” said DMP boss said.

Earlier media reports claimed that the 37-year-old businessman used his restaurant in Bukit Bintang to meet with the terrorist, Andaleeb Ahmed, who was involved in the attack on Holey Artisan bakery in Dhaka’s Gulshan diplomatic zone on July 1.

Malaysian newspaper The Star reported on Friday that the suspect deported in the South-Asian country met the terrorist two months ago.

“The authorities believe that the suspect was planning attacks in his home country. He even had regular meetings with many of his countrymen,” the newspaper quoted an unnamed source as saying.

The source added that the suspect was also responsible for smuggling AK-47 rifles into Bangladesh.

Andaleeb was linked to Monash University in Malaysia, having been in the country from 2012 to 2015 and later in Istanbul.

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said the businessman was among four men arrested by the Bukit Aman Special Branch Counter Terrorism Division between Aug 2 and Sept 17.

newsnextbd.com/sh/n